Wrong! And that got me logging onto my computer, researching things about Texas. For instance, the state bird, flower, sport and much more. And that leads us to today’s topic, a quiz about Texas symbols, mottoes and animals, just to mention a few. See how well you know our state. Warning: some answers are easy, but others may not be what you thought they were. Don’t get tripped up too easily. Answers are at the end of the column. ?
- Name the state bird.
- What is the state amphibian?
- What is our state crustacean?
- What is the official food dish of Texas?
- Name the state dog breed. (I thought I’d get this one. No such luck!)
- What is our state flower?
- We have a state flying mammal. Name it.
- Name the state’s official footwear.
- Name the state horse of Texas.
- What is our official state motto?
- What is our state’s nickname?
- We have a state reptile. Name it.
- We also have a state ship. What is it called?
- Texas has an official state snack. What is it?
- What is our state insect?
- Identify the state sport of Texas. (Watch out on this one!)
- Name the state tree of Texas.
- What is the state song?
- Texas has a state pie. What kind is it? (This is really easy.)
- What is our state hat?
The answers (and a few comments):
- The state bird is the mockingbird. If you said pelican, you’re thinking of the Texas Gulf Coast.
- The Texas Toad is our state amphibian.
- The state crustacean is the Texas Gulf Shrimp.
The best shrimp there is.
- The official food dish of Texas is chili.
Not fried shrimp, BBQ or steak!
- The Blue Lacy is the state dog breed.
Never heard of it but that’s what it said.
- Our state flower? The bluebonnet.
What else could it be?
- The state flying mammal is the Mexican free-tailed bat.
- The official footwear of Texas could only be the cowboy boot.
- The official horse of Texas is the American Quarter Horse.
- The official motto is “Friendship.”
(And our signs say “Don’t Mess With Texas!”)
- We are officially “The Lone Star State.”
- The Texas Horned Lizard is the official state reptile. It’s not an amphibian like the toad.
- We are proud of our state ship, The USS Texas.
- Our official snack? What else could it be but tortilla chips and salsa?
- The Monarch Butterfly is the state insect. I guessed the mosquito. Whatever.
- If you guessed football, you’re wrong. It’s RODEO! Yeeeeehawwww!
- The official state tree is the pecan tree.
- Texas’ official song is “Texas, My Texas.”
- Our official pie is pecan pie, made from the nuts on our state tree.
- Our state hat could only be one thing. It’s the cowboy hat. Nothing else would make sense.