Community

Students in the Upward Bound program at the College Of Mainland recently took a trip to Washington DC. During their visit, they were able to participate in several activities, including  a visit to the Capitol. Upward Bound is a program for low-income students and at-risk students in Dickinson, Hitchcock, La Marque and Texas City excel in high-school and enroll in college. And, just recently, a grant to the program for more than $1000 was renewed for five years. –Photo courtesy COM

Dog of the week
Meet Boss, ID A008515, he has been with us since May 23rd. He is estimated at 9 months old. He’s a very sweet boy, he thinks he’s a lap dog. We hope you will come visit handsome Boss.

Cat of the week
Standish (A008683) is a Domestic Short Hair orange tabby kitten who will melt your heart.  He is about two months old, cute as can be, playful, and friendly.  Standish likes toys, cuddling, dinner, and posing for the camera.  Come meet this special little guy — he may be that perfect kitten you’ve been waiting for.
Adoption details

Boss and Standish are available for adoption June 27 – July 1, 2017 at the special rate of $42.50.
Pet-of-the-week costs
Adoptions include rabies vaccination, neutering and microchipping. Senior citizens can adopt a senior pet for only $20.

A Call For Nominations By Trishna Buch

The Texas City Independent School District’s Foundation For The Future is calling for nominations to the 2017 Texas City Hall Of Honor and the 2017 La Marque Legacy Hall.

The Foundation For The Future was founded in 1996 to support and provide funds for programs that have not been completely covered by the operating budget. The funds, according to a release, are able to “facilitate student achievement,” “encourage staff excellence” and “expand community involvement.” “The Foundation believes there is a strong correlation between the quality of life in our community and the quality of its educational system,” Melissa Tortorici, Communications Director of TCISD, said. “The Foundation’s vision is to enhance education in TCISD by working to increase private support for educational activities.”

The Hall Of Honor was created to recognize graduates who “excelled in their field of expertise and made significant contributions to their respective communities”, said a press release. Furthermore, inductees into both the Texas City Hall Of Honor and the La Marque Legacy Hall are individuals who are role models to current and future Texas City and La Marque students. “We are excited to add La Marque’s Legacy Hall to the Community Recognition Celebration alongside Texas City’s Hall of Honor,” Deborah Laine, Foundation For The Future’s executive director, said. “La Marque had excellent inductees from 2008-2012 and we look forward to recognizing additional outstanding alumni beginning again this year.”
So where do all of you come in? From now until July 31, you are invited to submit names for people to be honored at the 12th Annual Community Recognition Celebration.  The ceremony, which is a fundraiser for the foundation, will be taking place on Thursday October 12 at the Doyle Convention Center. And the selected individuals will be inducted into the 2017 Texas City Hall Of Honor or the 2017 La Marque Legacy Hall on that date.
Nominees for the two aforementioned hall of honors must be graduates of the following schools: Booker T. Washington, Central or Wolvin high-schools, TCHS, Lincoln High School or La Marque High School. “The nominees should represent a cross section of the high quality graduates who have continued to represent excellence in their personal and professional lives and are good role models for TCISD students,” a press release said.
But that’s not all! Because people, who are not alumni of the aforementioned schools, can still be nominated for other community recognition awards. These awards are the ‘visionary in education award’, the ‘distinguished service award’ and the ‘spirit of education award’.
If you know someone who deserves to be nominated, go online to www.tcisd.org/departments/foundation/awards to submit an application. And, for more information on nominations or the ceremony call 409-916-0108 or email dlaine@tcisd.org.

BOLD MOVES, VISIONARIES & TEXAS CITY

Visionaries come from all walks of life; they are all shapes and sizes with life experiences as different as popsicles and habanera peppers. From Henry Ford, to Madonna or Thomas Edison to Oprah Winfrey, many had humble beginnings and most of them had significant obstacles to overcome to be able to accomplish their goals.
When I met with Richard Bubba Stidhem to talk about his move to take over the Buddy’s Plumbing Building, I certainly did not expect to get an education in business management, team building, and how to live an exceptional life! Sixteen years ago, Bubba began his journey to be the best plumber in Texas City. He chose his mentor and immediately got busy soaking up every bit of knowledge he could so that he could be even better than this person he holds in such high regard.
“He told me to always work and always be available…so I am.” This young man is self-taught Master Plumber who believes he should work longer and harder than his employees; teach them what he knows, and demand both a high level of skill and a strong work ethic. “ I know pretty quick if somebody is going to work out. If they can’t listen and they think they already know what I am trying to teach them, I will tell them ‘Listen to me till I’m finished and then go do what I just explained to you.’ If I tell them to pick up that rock and put it over there, they will pick up the rock but they will put it in the wrong place because they quit listening.”
Two years ago, Bubba began this journey, “I want to be Texas City’s Hometown Plumber.” Today he has bought the building where Axle did just that with Buddy’s Plumbing. He has two box trucks, three vans, three pickups and seven highly skilled journeyman plumbers working for him. He did this working out of the house he grew up in; offering competitive, fair pricing…a customer only pays for the amount of time it takes to complete the job; there is no “fixed rate” like the large plumbing companies charge…significantly better trained and more highly skilled plumbers doing the jobs, there by building a level of customer loyalty rarely seen in this or any service business.
They specialize in Service & Repair; New Construction, Restaurants, Residential and Commercial jobs, & Management Companies; they recently installed fully functional bathrooms on the Seawall for the City of Galveston – (the bathrooms made it into the Galveston paper – Buddy didn’t). They provide 24-hour Emergency Service and usually it will be Bubba who shows up!
It is rare to see such a combination of confidence and humility but this young man decided he was going to be the best and he went about the business of doing just that. He learned from the best plumbers. He read bestselling books on business to make sure he was doing everything right. He took a significant pay cut to strike out on his own and plowed money back in to the business to ensure he was not just accumulating debt. He examined his own life to be able to be a mentor, teacher and boss that would ensure he had the very best people working with him.
And because of the challenges he faced in his life, from a very young age, he makes sure he is respectful of his employees, his customers, his city and his competition. He donates the t-shirts that are shot out at games, to show support for the sport and his city and he works long hours to ensure a better life for his wife and two daughters.
“This is a great location! I’ve already had people stopping by. Even Sonny and Axle came to see me and they are proud their building is going to be home to a plumbing company that operates the way they did. Its scary sure but who doesn’t love a Bold Move?”
And I must agree. This young man knows who he is; he knows how to build a clientele, a team of loyal and capable coworkers, and a business that offers Quality Service in the city he grew up in – the city he loves.

Send your Community Calendar information, including event, date, time, and contact person, to production@thepostnewspaper.net.

Computer engineering students at the University Of Houston Clear Lake worked with students from San Jacinto College North and recently earned fourth place in the 2017 Swarmathon contest, organized by Nasa. The two colleges were amongst 40 institutions and more than 600 students who participated in the competition. From left (standing) are Luong Nguyen, assistant professor of computer engineering; Miguel Rosales, Lodi Dyook, Arnoldo Chapa, Ben Elliott, John-Paul Jarquin, Carol Fairchild, visiting researcher and Thomas Harman, professor of computer engineering and chair of the Department Of Engineering. From left (sitting) are Wilber Barquero, Okechukwa Ibekwe and Juan Pena.