Community

By Lorre Prince

The Village at Tuscan Lakes is presenting an Artisan and Home Décor Market on September 30, 2017 from 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM.  Today, we are featuring one of our vendors, Stephen Hegyesi.  Stephen was born in Germany and immigrated to the United States in 1951.  He grew up in the Houston/Galveston area.  Steve became a principal of WPM Engineering and worked there for 40 years. Some of the local projects that he was involved with include Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park and Toyota Center.

As a child, Steve was impressed by European skilled craftsmen.  Now retired, Steve has taken his engineering skills and combined them with his creativity and eye for art.  He is challenged by the complex geometric solutions necessary to construct the intricacy of segmented creations.  Please mark your calendars to come and meet Mr. Stephen Hegyesi and to view/purchase his beautiful pieces of art.

By Trishna Buch

With the summer holidays in full swing parents, grandparents and guardians all around Galveston County are probably looking for ways to entertain the county’s youngest residents. Of course the park, swimming pool, movie theater or shopping mall are all great locations to spend your time, but there are so many other exciting activities and events taking place this summer—around the county—that I recommend you consider going to!
One of these events is the Kyle Academy For Autism Crawfish Festival, which is taking place on Saturday for the second year in a row. During the festival, attendees will not only be able to enjoy some delicious crawfish, they will also be able to take part in silent auctions and raffles, purchase items from various vendors, and enjoy live entertainment and endless food and drinks.
And there will be activities for the kids as well, so be sure to make it a family affair! Along with enjoying the food, drinks and entertainment on offer; the children will also be able to enjoy the kidzone—a wonderful area filled with face painting and all the carnival rides they can imagine! What a perfect end-of-the-week treat, and the best way to get them outside!
Of course, we cannot forget the reason for the festival. Saturday’s crawfish festival is to benefit the Kyle Academy For Autism; a homeschool academy for special needs children that is based out of Pasedena. According to the academy’s website, it “is a non-profit Christian Homeschool Academy for children ages four to eight on the autism spectrum”.
The academy is beneficial for special needs children because they are able to learn at their own pace and are given ample individualized instruction thanks to the low student-teacher ratio the academy provides. The school also increases the amount of support its students receive, by inviting therapists into the classroom.
And the academy is named for Deacon Kyle—the son of its founder and executive director, Jaclyn Scott. Scott had the idea to start the academy after Deacon, who is autistic, aged out of therapy and she decided she wanted a learning environment that met his needs. According to the website, the aim was to have a location that “encourages fun, curriculum that challenges, and an environment that allows our kiddos to feel safe, accepted and loved.”
“Our school was created to give families another option for educating their special needs child”, Scott said.
“The crawfish festival is our large fundraiser for the year and 100 per cent of the proceeds go directly to our school to help keep the tuition costs low for families and help support extra programs like weekly music lessons and monthly field trips.”
So there you have it! You will be able to enjoy a day out, while knowing you are doing your part who help the people that need it most! Let’s just hope the weather holds up!
For more information about the Kyle Academy, visit their website at kyleacademy.com.

The New Face of the American Legion

There is little quite so humbling as realizing something you have heard about all your life is not at all what you thought it was. For example, did you know our local American Legion is made up of several factions: Sons of American Legion – the Sons of Veterans, the Legion Riders, and the Auxiliary – Daughters of Veterans. Working together, these groups fund scholarships to Mainland Community College for graduating students. They raise funds for everything from LED flares for police officers to a bus ticket for a Vet trying to get home.
I did notice there is a strong bond among these people who feel an obligation to honor military sacrifice by being not only a resource for Veterans and their families, but giving them a place to belong, to feel welcome and no matter how dire their own situation might be, a chance to do for others.
We are going to follow this merry band of Riders for a while, and see where their adventures take us as they “Saddle Up” to go for a ride and spread some good will around the Mainland, something they do the 4th Saturday of every month. This Sunday they will mark the passing of one of their members by holding a benefit for the family of Gus Manis today from 1 pm until 7 pm to raise money to assist with medical & burial expenses.
So yes, there is a bar at the American Legion in Texas City and it is frequented by kind people who fill a need when they see it and there seems to be quite bit of that going around. I would encourage you to take a drive out 29th this Sunday afternoon  and just stop when you see a bunch of people having a wonderful time. You will have arrived at American Legion, Rider, and SAL Post 89. Best place in town to get some help, give some help or just make a friend.

For Edward Doc Amey, going from rags to riches had nothing to do with money.  Doc’s riches ome in the form of finding his life partner, finding his path, and now, helping others to find their own path. Since the publication of his book “Kept Phantom to Faith – A Troubled Life to Victory”, pictured here, Doc has begun to see that his life experiences are all to common in this world. And with that realization he has set about to correct that imbalance by sharing his life experiences with all who cross his path. With that in mind, Doc presented The Post a proposal to practice his outreach through dialogue with our readers. It is his hope, and ours, hat those who are struggling and need some guidance and direction, will be able to find it here. Watch this space; we will have more about Doc in coming issues.

Meet Ms. Ronnie

There is a song that goes “Everything Old is New Again” that reminds us how as much as things change, there are some things that stay the same. There is one recurring theme that I continue to run across as I visit our many communities and that is how vibrant is our community of Seniors. We see them active in our Churches, our non-profit organizations, in the schools in the arts, they seem to be present as well working well past retirement and showing us that age is truly only a number.
One such example is a young lady of 75 who has been waiting on customers of the Walgreens in La Marque for over thirty years. Everyone knows her as Ms. Ronnie. And as I stand watching her work I am struck by the patience she has with each and every customer, often answering the same question over and over again, with the same kind smile, the same “That’s OK Honey.”, and a warm smile and a wink for each child.
Ms. Ronnie will tell you there is nothing special about her. When she divorced at the age of 40, she had children to care of so she got a job. She started with Walgreens when it was where the Family Dollar is now. The oldest of five children, she grew up in Kansas City Kansas, graduating from Washington High School in 1960. She moved to Texas with her husband when he was hired by NASA, because back then “that’s just what you did”.
These days, she spends her free time working in her yard, watching her soaps, visiting her daughter and grandchildren Brandon and Shana and she loves her solitaire and Search Words.
When she is out and about, it is not unusual for her to hear “Hi Ms. Ronnie” or “Ms. Walgreens, Hello!”. “Sometimes it is a little embarrassing because I might not recognize them right off the bat but I know I probably waited on them before so it’s a pretty good feeling.”
Ms.Ronnie has no plans to retire. She rarely misses work, happily covers for coworkers when needed. “I’m pretty healthy because I keep busy. I guess my body will tell me when it’s time to slow down. But till then, I’ll be right here.” And that is a pretty good thing – for Walgreens and for all the customers who come in each day to see Ms. Ronnie, right there at the front counter with a smile and a “Welcome to Walgreens!”.